If you want to straighten your teeth, you may be confused about these two options: Invisalign and braces. Both work effectively in straightening misaligned teeth, but you need to choose the one that fits your lifestyle best. Let’s look at them in detail and the pros and cons of each to help you make an informed choice.
Clear aligners have recently grown in popularity due to their invisibility and ease of use. Invisalign treatment involves the use of clear plastic aligners, which are customised according to the teeth of the patient. They are proposed to move the teeth gradually until the patient achieves the correct position.
- They are invisible- the main reason you should opt for clear aligners is that they are invisible, and no one will know whether you are under orthodontic treatment. That also means you don’t have to deal with people who keep on commenting about your braces.
- They are removable for easy cleaning and eating- you don’t have to wear Invisalign 24/7. You only need to wear them for 20 hours a day, and you can always remove them when you are eating or cleaning them.
- They make it manageable to brush and floss your teeth since they are removable, allowing you to continue with your previous routine.
- They require a few visits to the dentist, and they are more comfortable to wear than metal braces.
- Having to remove and wear your Invisalign every other time can be inconvenient. You must remove them during meals or when drinking anything other than water.
- They require more discipline and compliance, especially wearing them for the time necessary.
- They may be more expensive than traditional braces.
Traditional metal braces enjoy worldwide popularity and reputation as the ultimate teeth straightener. Modern dentists such as Mitch Vanhille say that braces are the most popular choice for teeth straightening owing to their performance and customization possibilities. Today’s braces are also less noticeable, and you can have the freedom to personalise by choosing from a wide range of colourful bands.
- They are suitable for all kinds of treatments- meta braces can effectively address even the most severe teeth misalignments as they use metal wires to position the teeth in place over time.
- They make it possible to achieve a perfect outcome because they use more force to move the teeth over time than Invisalign.
- Faster treatment time- although teeth alignment takes time, braces correct crooked teeth much faster than Invisalign.
- There are several braces to pick from, including lingual and ceramic braces.
- Some patients don’t like the feel and look of metal braces.
- Brushing and cleaning your teeth is more challenging with braces on.
- You may have to avoid some foods and snacks.
- You must visit the dentist regularly for check-ups and alignment of the braces.
Your best choice depends on different aspects, including the severity of your teeth problem, desired results, budget, and personal preferences. Both options work effectively in aligning teeth, but you may opt for traditional braces if you want a perfect outcome within a short period. Also, discuss your options with your dentist to make the right choice.